- This ward provides care for women after childbirth as well as for newborn infants. It has 32 beds situated on the 6th floor.
- Patients are allowed to come and view the ward before admission.
- Maternity ward is divided into two sections; postnatal and gynaecological section.
- For postnatal section, health educator Sr M Wathen provides health education and assistance regarding mother and baby care.
- Newborn babies are given immunisation (BCG AND POLIO) before they are discharged from the hospital.
- Registration of birth with home affairs is done whilst babies are still in the hospital.
Visiting hours are as Follows:
Only two visitors per patient, no children under the age of 12 allowed
Patients should bring the following during admission:
- Toiletries and pyjamas/night dresses.
- Surgical spirit.
- Cotton wool roll/ balls.
- Wet wipes.
- Fragrance free acqeous cream.
- Vaseline-clothes are needed when the baby is discharged.
- This is a Hospital facility which provides care for newborn infants.
- Rooming in and bonding is encouraged hence breastfeeding is promoted.
- Mothers are assisted with care of babies 24hrs.
- Gifts are given to patients who have delivered in the hospital i.e. baby bag with goodies inside.
THE UNIT IS GOING TO BE RENOVATED INTO THE STATE OF THE UNIT IN THE NEAR FUTURE.THE UNIT WILL BE COMPRISE D OF SINGLE ROOMS FOR PRIVACY.
Sr Nohlanhla Khanyi
Tel: 012 336 6157/ 6101